Who We Are – The New York State Laborers
The New York State Laborers’ Union represents over 40,000 members employed in the construction industry and other fields throughout the state. Our members are organized into 24 local unions and five district councils. The New York State Laborers’ Union comprises skilled construction craft laborers that are trained to work safely and get the job done right.
What We Do – Laborers Build New York
Our members are: cement and concrete workers, drill runners and demolition specialists, asphalt pavers and asbestos workers, sandhogs and hazardous waste workers, flaggers, mason tenders and more.
Many of us are people you see every day as we:
- Build and repair highways and roads
- Erect bridges and office towers
- Construct new schools and renovate aging facilities
- Build and renovate airports
Other Laborers aren’t as visible, but are working just as diligently to improve the state’s transportation infrastructure and create more efficient, livable communities. We:
- Dig tunnels
- Lay subway and sewer lines
- Build pipelines and maintain nuclear power plants
- Eliminate asbestos, lead and other hazardous materials from our environment